PUB DATE: May 2009
TITLE: Ricardo: Meals for Every Occasion
Thank You to Sarah at MDG for sending me this fantastic cookbook.
I love Ricardo. (Isn’t he a cutie?) I try to watch his show when its on the Food Network.
This is a great cookbook filled with over 100 recipes, great pictures on almost every single page and hints and tips. Another great thing about this cookbook apart from Ricardo being from Quebec is that all the recipes are easy, nothing complicated about them and all the ingredients are easy to find. I love a cookbook that has pictures to go with the recipes.
I have made several recipes from this book already. Such as: Chicken Legs w/Honey & Rosemary, Macaroni & Cheese, Perfect Vanilla Cake, Montreal Steak Spice, and a few others including the recipe below.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
A household name in Quebec, Ricardo Larrivée has also become quite well known throughout the rest of Canada with his hit show Ricardo & Friends on Food Network Canada and his book Weekend Cooking. In his home province, Ricardo’s daily cooking show has the highest ratings of all morning programs on Radio-Canada and is now in its 7th season. Often called “Quebec’s answer to Jamie Oliver.”
Breakfast Club Sandwiches
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
-Ricardo’s tip: “There’s no mess quite like the one you make frying bacon in a skillet. To avoid splattering grease all over the kitchen, my trick is to place strips of bacon on a cookie sheet and bake them. They don’t need as much attention and will stay nice and straight. Plus, you’ll look like a food-styling genius.”
18 slices bacon (about one 1 lb/454 g package)
12 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup (180 mL) mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
18 slices square white bread
18 slices tomato
12 leaves Boston lettuce
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Line a 10- x 15-inch (25 x 38 cm) casserole dish with parchment paper, leaving paper hanging over 2 sides. Oil the paper and sides of the dish.
- Lay the slices of bacon on the baking sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish and bake until set but still moist, 10 to 12 minutes. Cut the omelet into 6 portions. Set aside. Turn off the oven and return the bacon to the oven to reheat it.
- Assembly: Toast 3 slices of bread and spread with mayonnaise. Top 1 slice of bread with the egg and 3 slices of bacon. Cover with a second slice of bread. Top with 3 tomato slices and 2 lettuce leaves. Top with a third slice of bread. Insert toothpicks into the centre of the 4 corners of the sandwich and cut the sandwich into triangles. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
If you are reading this on a blog or website other than Cindy’s Love Of Books or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.
2 thoughts on “Ricardo: Meals for Every Occasion Review”
Cindy, really, you are going to wind up with way more guests this summer if you keep describing all of these recipe. Speaking of which, hope your week’s entertaining went well.
I have an award for you.Come on over!